Reposted from my Sep 9, 2015 subscription email newsletter
Hello everyone! I hope the week finds you peaceful and open to the possible. If not, put on the Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley 1962 recording. I must say, I had forgotten just how wonderful that recording was until I heard it playing at a recent gig with Ephraim Owens, Shelley Carrol, Daniel Durham and Sean Giddings at The Roosevelt Room in Austin. How I love that side. Nancy is magic, as is Cannonball and band, the song list, and the sound of the record. The album cover was pretty hip too. And it’s only $5.99 on iTunes!
So, that album set the tone for an enjoyable evening. We went a bit otherworldly as the five of us performed the entire John Coltrane suite, “A Love Supreme.” I was also reminded of what a landmark in jazz history that Coltrane recording was, as I revisited it during the week to prepare for the gig. A lot more progressive than the Wilson/Adderley recording, but a pinnacle moment in jazz history as Coltrane, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison and McCoy Tyner explored new extended modal and free territory that left some audiences at the time bewildered but set the stage for the next evolution of jazz. I didn’t understand it when I heard it in my younger years. I appreciate it so much more now.
On the gig front, I’m exploring some new territory with a few happy hour dates at the Elephant Room, along with my pals Mitch Watkins on guitar and Chris Maresh on bass. HH at the Elephant is a more low key affair and often features vocalists, so I’m singing. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and Mitch is encouraging and supporting me as I build a repertoire slowly but deliberately, which is to say it’s mighty tiny at the moment. I hope to record some things soon to share with you all over SoundCloud.
Here’s my gig calendar for the rest of September.
- Sep 11 with Elias Haslanger Quintet @ The Elephant Room (315 Congress Ave) 9:30-late
- Sep 14 with Church on Monday @ The Continental Gallery (1313 S. Congress Ave) 8:30-10
- Sep 17 with The Trio (Me, Mitch Watkins & Chris Maresh) @ The Elephant Room (315 Congress Ave) 6-8
- Sep 19 with The Trio @ Truehart house concert (Smithville, TX.) Sold out
- Sep 20 with Jeff Hellmer & John Fremgen @ The Elephant Room, 9:30-late
- Sep 21 with Church on Monday @ The Continental Gallery, 8:30-10
- Sep 29 with Church on Monday @ The Continental Gallery, 8:30-10
- Sep 30 with Jon Blondell & Denny Freeman @ The Elephant Room, 9:30-late
- Oct 1 with The Trio @ The Elephant Room, 6-8
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)